Monday, January 17, 2011

Dinner at The Capital Grille 1/15/11

155 E 42nd St - NY, NY 10019 January Visit
When I’m headed out to dinner, there is a running joke of response from everyone that knows me which is…where are you going? The Capital Grille?! Somehow, someway every single time I want to experiment with a new restaurant I always end up back at The Capital Grille. I will spend hours looking through Zagat and online reviews but something always draws me back in. I like the feeling of knowing what to expect. Every location, every time I get my favorite bread basket with whipped butter, crisp white table cloths, top-notch steaks and melt in your mouth mashed potatoes. Don’t get me wrong – I’ve tried Morton’s, Ruth Chris, The Palm, etc. and they all do it right. But something about The Capital Grille attracts me more than any other steakhouse. The only complaints I’ve ever heard about this place involve the noise level, the waiting time or the price. If you don’t want any talking, go to a library or stay home! And in regards to the price…oh, HI it’s a steakhouse in Manhattan by the way. The prices are fair and competitive for a steakhouse. I LOVE the ambiance and it’s truly a “power scene.” If you make reservations, you will never have to worry about waiting. FYI, waiting also means that they’re popular; they’re turning over the food quickly and it’s the place everyone wants to be. I’ve been to several different Capital Grille locations and this one has always been my favorite. The architecture is contemporary with cathedral-high triangle shaped ceilings and huge windows looking out onto 42nd Street. Blah, blah, blah enough reading?! You guys want to see my pictures, right?! Here it goes, check them out and check out The Capital Grille. Maybe it will become your favorite restaurant too? 

My ONLY complaint, and if anyone from The Capital Grille ever happens to read this…please tell me why! My two favorite dishes at The Capital Grille disappeared off the menu after six years! They were the “Peppered Filet Hash” (chunks of Filet Mignon with potatoes, peppers and onions seasoned with rosemary and thyme, by the way it was only $10.95 during Lunch hours). And my favorite dinner entrée the Linguini with Shrimp (jumbo shrimp, perfectly cooked linguini, white wine, sundried tomatoes, garlic and parsley).  They removed them as soon as our economy crashed. Maybe it has something to do with competitive pricing or availability? But the linguini was around the same price point as the fish currently on their menu? I’m confused, why are they gone?! 



DRINK...
Shirley Temple. A simple mix of Sprite, grenadine and cherries.   It’s a “children’s drink.” Psssh. Whatever. Don’t judge. I have loved Shirley Temples since I was seven years old and I will never stop drinking them. I could be fancy and pair a red wine, but there is something familiar and refreshing about a crisp Shirley Temple. Look at that picture and tell me it doesn’t make you thirsty? Exactly!




BREAD BASKET... Who goes to The Capital Grille because of the bread?! I DO! It’s about the whole experience and a lack of good bread subtracts from a good time. I never met a carbohydrate I didn’t like, especially in this plentiful basket. The bread included is: pumpernickel, lahvosh, seeded rolls and ciabatta. And of course, it's served with whipped butter. Yum! I never understand when people's bread baskets are still full when they leave!
          AMUSE BOUCHE...

“Amuse boo-what?"Amuse Bouche, is a single, bite-sized hors d'oeuvres served before dinner. They are never ordered from a menu, but served according to the chef’s preference. My Fine Dining course paid off!
J My professor/culinary instructor explained that amuse bouche translates to “mouth amuser” and the point of it is to get you excited for your meal! It’s a little tease before the big show! I have to be honest and say that all the times I have gone to The Capital Grille, I have never received even one amuse bouche. Never. Ever.  I didn’t even know The Capital Grille did amuse bouche. I also have to be honest and say that someone in our group might have said it was their Birthday. Maybe. I’m not suggesting you do this…but if it’s your “Birthday” you might just get an amuse bouche (and Birthday confetti on your table when you arrive…just SAYIN’!) Shhh, don’t tell anyone! J I was really excited when our waiter, Hunter brought over the amuse bouche I almost jumped out of my chair. It’s the little things.

This particular amuse bouche was a mini tortilla frittata (eggs, potatoes). It was plated on a little bed of spicy salsa, microgreens and a little sprinkle of salty capers. A nice little bite! I am so HAPPY with how the picture turned out – BEAUTIFUL!
GRILLED SWORDFISH W/ LEMON-SHALLOT RELISH...


Grilled, moist and served with lemon, fennel and herbs. The vegetables on the side are the French Green Beans with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel. The fennel was diced small and added a nice flavor to the side. Check out that thick piece of swordfish – sexy!


                                     SAM'S MASHED POTATOES...

For the past six years, I have been trying to find this recipe everywhere. The website says that it’s red bliss potatoes, sweet cream, butter and salt. But, I think there’s a secret they’re not telling us. These are the best mashed potatoes I have ever had in my life. They are rich, decadent and smooth.  I don’t even like mashed potatoes! These…I LOVE.

LOBSTER AND CRAB STUFFED SHRIMP.....

Butterflied shrimp stuffed with fresh lobster and crab, lightly breaded and roasted with a touch of wine. This was delicious, but for me I would have liked it to come with some pasta. Five pieces of shrimp aren’t much to fill me up. Yes, I have a big appetite but I also think I’m stuck on comparing it to the Linguini w/ Shrimp that they USED TO have on the menu. Shrimp on its own is an appetizer. Shrimp with linguini is a meal...but this was still delicious!


FRESH BERRIES IN VANILLA CREME...

This was served complimentary for the “Birthday” guest! Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries in a velvety-smooth Crème Anglaise.

COCONUT-CREAM PIE...



Vanilla-flavored crust with whipped and coconut pastry cream. Caramel rum sauce topping.

Service Rating: We joked that the manager heard it was someone’s Birthday and decided to give us the most personable waiter in the house. This guy overcompensated for his lack of personality with the crème anglaise and amuse bouche. But he was a “hoverer.” When the check came this guy was on my shoulder like a squirrel. He was a big-time pest in this department. Are you ready? Are you ready? Now? How about now? Can I take it? Are you putting the card down? I always leave the check open so they can see if I put the money down yet  – it wasn’t down yet but he wanted it to be. And I’m not the type of person that stays after dinner asking what’s in the tea, I’m really quick when I eat because I’m ravenous. I didn’t like that he rushed us at the end.  Especially since we were there celebrating a “Birthday.” Jeez! :-)

XoX,




Caitlin Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment